This vegetarian meal was a hit with everyone in the family. The leftovers make great burrito and taco filling!
*Recipe adapted from Recipe Runner.
- olive oil
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked green or red lentils, rinsed
- 2 3 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup defrosted frozen corn
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 4 ounces can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 15 ounces can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder (optional)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese, I used sharp cheddar and part skim mozzarella
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat a large pot or saucepan over medium high heat. Add olive oil and when heated, add onion and garlic. Sauté for a couple minutes then add in lentils. Add in the vegetable stock, stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until lentils are tender. If there is any excess liquid drain it. Season the lentils with salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin. Add in all of the remaining ingredients except 1/4 cup of the cheese and stir together. Heat the mixture until the cheese is melted. Top with the remaining cheese and cover with a lid. Heat on low until the cheese is melted and the mixture is bubbly.